Privacy & Cookies Policy
Who we are
We are The Paint Shed Limited, trading as The Paint Shed, a UK limited company registered in Scotland.
Address: 8-9, 20 Munro Rd, Stirling FK7 7UU
Registration no: SC031414
VAT No: 829 260 224
www.thepaintshed.com is operated by The Paint Shed Limited. Any references to 'we', 'us', 'The Paint Shed', 'thepaintshed.com' or similar terms is a reference to The Paint Shed Limited.
What we collect
We (and our service providers) collect personal information from and when you:
- place an order from us
- create an account with us, or otherwise sign up for a service or feature;
- opt in to receive marketing from us, including through one of our third party partners acting on our behalf;
- complete a survey;
- participate in a competition run by The Paint Shed
- contact our customer services team;
- communicate with us via third-party social media sites;
- submit a rating or review via our site; or
- contact us, or otherwise provide information to us.
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to fulfil the orders you place with us, understand your needs and provide you with a better service, in particular:
- internal record keeping, as required by law
- to confirm your order, confirm order despatch, deliver your order or confirm a refund where applicable
- to assist you with any queries concerning your order or any other query
- to send you information regarding our company and products that we believe to be of interest to you.
We may process your personal information for our legitimate business interests. ‘Legitimate Interests’ means the interests of our company in conducting and managing our business to enable us to give you the best service/products and the best and most secure experience. It can and does also apply to processing which is in your interests too.
Processing for our legitimate interests may include processing for the purposes of:
- fraud prevention and compliance
- certain direct marketing and promotional activities;
- the provision and operation of referral marketing programmes
- network and information systems security
- data analytics
- enhancing, modifying or improving our service
- identifying usage trends; or
- determining the effectiveness of promotional campaigns or advertising.
In connection with the above activities, we may share your personal information with trusted suppliers who assist us in our data processing activities. When we process your personal information for our legitimate interests, we make sure to consider and balance any potential impact on you (both positive and negative), and your rights under data protection laws. Our legitimate business interests do not automatically override your interests - we will not use your personal data for activities where our interests are overridden by the impact on you (unless we have your consent or are otherwise required or permitted by law). You have the right to object to this processing if you wish and if you wish to do so please contact us.
Who we share your information with
In order to run our business and provide our services to you we work with third-party vendors who help us to complete the functions outlined above. These include:
- our payments provider Braintree/PayPal who enable us to take payments from you, our customers
- shipping couriers DPD and UPS, and our logistics partner CCL, who we use to get your delivery to you from our warehouse
- Marketing and survey providers such as Mailchimp, Facebook, Google, SaleCycle and Trustpilot. You can opt out of marketing communications at any time by emailing us at i[email protected] and we will remove your details from our marketing lists.
- Mention-Me Ltd for the operation of our refer-a-friend programme. Mention Me process customer email addresses and certain order data for the purposes of: Enrolling customers onto our refer-a-friend programme; Monitoring the programme and safeguarding against gaming or fraudulent use of the programme; Communicating with customers in connection with operation of the programme and delivery of rewards; Reporting to The Paint Shed on the performance of the programme.
Retaining your personal data
We will only retain your personal information for as long it is required to fulfil the purposes which we have outlined above. The amount of information retained will be proportionate to how sensitive that information is. Legally we must keep basic information relating to purchases for a minimum of six years.
Cookies are identifiers that are passed to and stored by your computer when you visit a website like ThePaintShed.com. These cookies allow the website to recognise you, if and when you return to the website. This allows us to:
- identify you when you register and log-on to our website
- keep details of the items you have stored in your basket, so these can be viewed if you leave the site and come back
- use analytical tools like Google Analytics to help us understand how our customers arrive at and use our website, so that we can improve the online customer experience we offer
- ensure we show you the most relevant product and content on our website to make the experience as personalised as possible
- help us keep the site secure and help protect against any fraudulent activity
- share content with you that’s based on your interests through our site, newsletter and third-party advertising applications.
By using our site, you agree to us placing these sorts of cookies on your device and accessing them when you visit the site in the future. You can block cookies so that your browser doesn’t accept them by adjusting the settings in your internet browser. Please refer to the help section of the browser to learn more about this. For the best experience whilst visiting our website, we suggest you accept cookies from our site.
You have various rights about your personal information and how others, including us, retain and manage it, these include:
- the right to be informed about how your personal information is being used.
- the right to access the personal information we hold about you within our business.
- the right to request the correction of inaccurate personal information we hold about you.
- the right to request that we delete your data, or stop processing it or collecting it, in some circumstances where we’re not legally required to retain that information.
- the right to stop direct marketing messages, which you can do through by unsubscribing using the ‘unsubscribe’ link in the email.
- the right to request that we transfer or port elements of your data either to you or another service provider.
- the right to complain to your data protection regulator — in the UK, the Information Commissioner’s Office.
To request further information or to make a complaint, please contact us.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over other websites. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information that you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Updated: 12th January 2022