Wood Furniture Care Tips
Quality wood furniture can last a lifetime when cared for correctly. The best way to stop wooden furniture from looking old and tired is prevention, Still, accidents happen and even the highest quality wood is susceptible to environmental damage.
Each furniture piece is unique, and while we always recommend that you ask about the specific cleaning and care instructions at purchase, there are some tried-and-true wood furniture care tips that you can always use.
Read on for our top tips on keeping your interior and exterior wooden furniture looking its best.
Shop our range of trade quality woodcare products here. Find everything you need to transform and protect your wood. With stains, varnishes and paint from Dulux Trade, Crown Paints, Sadolin and more, there’s something for every woodcare project.
General Wood Furniture Care Tips
No matter the style or design of your wooden furniture, you will need to take proper care of it to ensure it enjoys a long life. Here are some wood furniture care instructions that apply to all pieces.
- Consider the positioning
Where you position your furniture can have a significant effect on its appearance and longevity. Keep key pieces away from sources of heat and out of direct sunlight to avoid cracks and sun damage.
- Keep it clean
This may seem obvious but the build-up of dust and grime of furniture can affect the finish and result in a worn and dull look. At The Paint Shed we offer a range of high quality cleaning solutions for wooden furniture, including this fantastic spray cleaner by Osmo.
- Avoid strong cleaners
For tough stains opts for warm water and soap over harsh cleaning products or vinegar as this could corrode the finish.
- Repair damage
Keep your furniture protected with wax polish and proper care. Tend to quick fixes like mug rings and spills immediately so that they don’t damage the finish.
Outdoor Wood Furniture Care
When you buy garden furniture you want it to last you for years to come. How you look after outdoor furniture is determined by what type of material it’s made from, but ultimately regular care is what will keep it looking as good as new.
- For general care of exterior wooden furniture, we recommend cleaning it with hot soapy water or a hardwood cleaning fluid at the start of each new season.
- Take the time after to brush away any dust or debris and then you can proceed to paint or oil your surface depending on your preference. For certain outdoor furniture e.g teak you may use a power washer for cleaning, however, this is not advised for pieces made from eucalyptus as you may damage the grain of the wood.
Now that you know how to clean your outdoor furniture you can decide how you would like to care for it.
- Au Naturel - You may prefer to let your furniture age naturally if you like a rustic, homey look. You can preserve the look of natural wood with a clear hardwood oil for eucalyptus furniture and a teak oil for teak furniture. Apply at least 2 coats.
- Transformed - If you want your furniture to fit seamlessly into the rest of your home you may choose to paint it. At The Paint Shed, we have a range of fantastic wood paints to help you transform your favourite pieces. Apply 2-3 coats for a solid colour. Here is a quick guide for painting garden furniture.
- A Quick Tint - If you want to alter the colour of your wood without compromising the integrity of its grain, a protective wood stain will do the trick. Shop our selection here.
For more on cleaning, sanding and filling imperfections before painting look here.
Indoor Wood Furniture Care
Interior furniture is what makes a house a home. Furniture is often the focal point of any room, so it is worthy of care and attention. Maintaining key pieces is easy when you follow these simple steps.
- Dust often and well - Use a soft, dry cotton cloth to regularly clean your tables, drawers, nightstand etc.
- Oil and wax - Oiling and waxing will not only add a shine to your furniture it also adds a protective layer to the surface. Shop our range of oils and waxes here.
- Treat wear and tear - Even the toughest surfaces can sustain injuries, treat flaws with our range of fillers that will help restore the natural beauty of your favourite pieces.
- Avoid heat and direct sunlight - Be mindful of exposing your furniture to sunlight as this can cause ‘spotting’ (the appearance of dark and light spots) you can combat this through proper placement or a tablecloth. You should also avoid placing hot and cold objects directly on the wood as this may distort the texture of the wood.
More Decorating Tips & Advice
The Paint Shed offers an unrivaled range of high-performance woodcare products. Shop everything you need to transform and protect your wood. Whether you need to paint, stain, treat or varnish, there’s an interior or exterior woodcare solution for you.
For advice on the right product for your paint project get in touch with our team of experts at [email protected].
For more painting and product guides look to our tips and advice page.