The Best Floor Paints
Painting floors is a big undertaking, we get it. If it’s a floor in your home, you need to keep everyone off of it while it dries and cures which is tricky with children and pets around or if it’s a commercial floor, you often need to close the premises for a short period to be able to paint the floor. With that in mind, we understand the importance of finding the best floor paint for the job to minimise disruption, guarantee a long-lasting result and make the application as easy as possible.
We’ve shortlisted our top recommendation for the best floor paints by surface, we hope this serves to narrow your options and give you confidence to get on with painting your floors.
The Best Floor Paint for Concrete Floors
If you’re looking for concrete floor paint, we’d recommend Coo-Var Acrylic Floor Paint which is a water-based paint that can be used in a variety of flooring types both indoor and outdoor including concrete, tarmac, wood and asphalt. It’s perfect for footfall and can take light truck use so could be used in some commercial environments.
- Fast drying water-based formula means it’s touch dry in 1-2 hours and hard dry in 6 hours
- Fully cured in 3-5 days, ready for use at this point
- Comes in a range of ready mixed colours Black, Flint Grey, Forest Green, TIle Red and White
- Second coat can be applied after 6-8 hours
- Can't be tinted or colour-matched
We'd also recommend Johnstone's Trade Flortred which is a traditional solvent-based paint with added polyurethane to provide increased durability and make the finish more hardwearing. Flortred is resistant to mild chemicals, water, oil and grease in areas subject to light and medium levels of traffic, such as walkways and is suitable for exterior use to highlight walkways, car park bays and other markings, but it is not suitable for use on large external areas. It can be used to cover large areas indoors and is available in thousands of colours including colour matching to designer shades, RAL and BSC.
- Can be colour-matched and tinted to thousands of colours including RAL
- Durable finish resistant to water, oil and grease
- Can be used indoors and outdoors
- Will withstand medium levels of traffic
- Recoatable after 16-24 hours
- Fully cured in 7 days
The Best Floor Paint for Wooden Floors
Little Greene Intelligent Floor Paint is a great paint for domestic wooden floors as it comes in the full range of Little Greene paint colours. It’s durable and scrubbable too, which makes it ideal for staircases, halls and landings along with other busy footfall areas in domestic settings.
- Water-based so fast drying and ready for a second coat after 4-6 hours
- Available in over 100 colours
- Easy to apply
- Not fully cured until at least 7 days so caution should be exercised until this point, no dragging furniture or heavy traffic
The Best Anti-Slip Floor Paint
If you’re looking to paint steps, ramps or anywhere that you require an anti-slip finish, we’d recommend Blackfriar Anti-Slip Floor Paint. It’s a traditional solvent-based floor paint with specialist aggregates for outstanding slip resistance on a variety of floor types including concrete, cement, wood, asphalt, stone and metal.
- Ideal for domestic and light industrial environments
- High-performing anti-slip formula
- Available in a range of ready mixed colours
- Takes longer to dry, 6 hours before touch dry, 16 hours before it's recoatable
- Full cure takes 5-7 days